Sydney Disc Golf Club
The Armory site at Newington was established in 1890, initially as a weapons storage site and in 1921 became a Naval Armaments Depot. The site grew to a size of 259 ha during the height of World War II and continued to operate until 1996 when it was closed in preparation for the 2000 Sydney Olympics. All but one of the buildings dating back to 1897 still stand on the site today and many are open to the public for viewing. Today the Armory is a heritage site and nature reserve, home to the endangered green and golden bell frog (Ranoidea aurea).
The Sydney Disc Golf Course was first established in 2006, initially with 9 baskets and upgraded to 18 Innova DISCatcher baskets in 2014. The course plays around the historical site and you will play around old bunkers and buildings that once housed military munitions.
The Sydney Disc Golf Club was incorporated as an association in 2017 and holds monthly social days and two tournaments a year.