Doubles Round

Doubles Round

Play with a partner and winner takes all!

Approximately once every 2 months, Sydney Disc Golf Club holds a Doubles round event at the Armory. Check the Events Calendar to see the date and time of the next Doubles round. All levels are welcome from beginners to professionals. 

You will be teamed up with a random partner so that each team has an advanced player and a novice player (or new players can play with a friend if you wish)

The entry fee is $5 per person (both members and non-members) – please pay by direct deposit to BSB 062 189 and account number 1053 4492 (put your name and month in the reference). You can also pay by cash on the day. Note there is no Ace Pot for doubles rounds. 

The lowest scoring team will win a cash prize equal to 75% of the total entry fee pool. [Note: the remaining 25% is used to cover player insurance and other running costs]. In the event of a tie between 2 or more teams, there will be a sudden death playoff as determined by the event director. Prize money will be paid by direct deposit to the winner’s bank account within 48 hours of the event.

So for example:

  • 32 players register to play, with $160 of entry fees received;
  • The prize pool is $120 (75% of $160)
  • Each player on the winning team will receive a prize of $60.   

To play in a Doubles round, you will need to create a free account on Disc Golf Metrix. Sydney Disc Golf Club uses this app to keep scores. 

Please check the event details to see which type of Doubles format is being played on the day.

NOTE: accepting cash in these events will not affect your amateur status. These events are not officially sanctioned and therefore you do not need to turn professional if you win.

How to Play Doubles

There are a variety of Doubles formats in disc golf. The main ones are: Best Shot, Alternate Shot, Worst Shot, Tough Shot and Best Score. Except where noted, PDGA rules apply.

Best Shot

Best Shot is the most popular doubles format. Both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the team decides which of the resulting lies to continue play from. They repeat until one of them completes the hole. The second player does not throw if the first player holes out first.

The group may take a reasonable amount of time to select which lie they want before the 30-second play clock starts.

A disc that is picked up without being marked is gone forever and the team must throw from the other lie. If the second lie is picked up, it must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.

If the first player throws from the wrong lie, the second player may still throw from the correct lie.

In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone, throwing one shot at each lie (essentially playing singles).

Alternate Shot

In Alternate Shot, players take turns to throw from each lie. The team selects a player to throw the tee shot at the beginning of the round. The other player then throws from the subsequent lie, and play alternates until the round is completed.

If the wrong player on a team throws, another team must call it immediately, like a foot fault. The team receives a warning, and the correct player throws. Subsequent violations incur a one-throw penalty.

For any violation that requires a re-throw (stance violation, provisional throw), the same player throws.

Worst Shot

In Worst Shot, both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the competing teams in the group choose which of the subsequent lies will be used. The aim is to pick the worst show to make the hole as difficult as possible. The hole is completed once
The 30-second play clock begins once the opposing teams have selected the lie and the first player arrives at this lie.

A lie that is picked up without being marked must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.

Any warning or penalty incurred by a player may be chosen to apply to the team, at the opposing teams’ discretion.

Tough Shot

Tough Shot is the same as Worst Shot, with one difference – once a player on the team has holed out, the team has completed the hole.

Best Score

In Best Score, each player plays the hole as they would while playing singles. The team score is the best score on the hole by one of its players. For example, on a par 4, Player A scores a 3 and Player B scores a 5. The team score is a 3.

A player must pick up once it is impossible for them to better the team’s score. The team incurs a warning for the first violation, and a penalty throw for subsequent violations.

In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone.